LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, with a heritage dating back to 1836.
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company and one of the oldest and largest insurance companies in the world, with a heritage dating back to 1836.
Long-term, risk-aware investment solutions are the backbone of LGIM and our expertise in developing these has helped us become one of the world’s largest asset managers today. We believe that the best companies continue to evolve. At LGIM, this means product innovation and striving to enhance client service.
- 2015: LGIM and National Grid UK Pension Scheme agree a strategic partnership for the management of around £12 billion of assets across fixed income, LDI and equities
- 2015: LGIM’s share of the fast-growing DC market continued, with DC assets under management rising 13% to £46.1bn, and a rise in customers to 1.8m
- 2015: LGIM cemented its position as the largest UK asset manager, with assets under management passing $1 trillion (£757 billion)*
- 2013: LGIM gained approval for its first SICAV structure, allowing investors in key markets in Europe to access a number of LGIM strategies more easily
- 2012: LGIM opened its Hong Kong office as part of our strategy to deliver our services and capabilities to Asian markets
- 2012: LGIM’s assets under management passed the £500 billion mark
- 2011: LGIM expanded its market-leading corporate governance team to cover all major developed equity markets
- 2009: LGIM’s assets under management reached £300 billion which meant that, on behalf of its clients, LGIM had responsibility for approximately 4.5% of the UK stock market, as represented by the FTSE All Share Index (as at 31 December 2009)
- 2008: LGIM ranked as the UK’s leading pension fund manager in the annual FTFM Pension Fund Manager Survey – a position it has retained (as at end 2015)
- 2006: LGIM opened LGIMA - a Chicago-based investment manager specialising in fixed income and LDI strategies
- 2005: LGIM launched a range of pooled liability driven investment (LDI) strategies
- 2003: LGIM is established as the leading manager of UK pension fund assets
- 2001: LGIM, working with a major client, developed one of the UK’s first LDI strategies
- 1988: LGIM established its private equity team, Legal & General Venture Capital
- 1987: Legal & General Property was founded
- 1987: LGIM was the first UK company to offer pooled index strategies for UK pension funds
- 1986: LGIM was appointed by its first external client for index strategy management
- 1971: LGIM launched its first active fixed income strategy
- 1970: Legal & General Investments was established (which later became LGIM), and started to manage assets for pension funds, institutional and private clients
- 1836: Legal & General Life Assurance Society was founded
*as at 31 December 2015, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.