CIO autumn update: To COP and beyond
As delegates gather at COP27, they confront the same long-term challenge posed by climate change as they did last year. But the context has changed dramatically: in light of the war in Ukraine, governments need to balance net-zero goals with a new imperative for energy security.
In our CIO autumn update, which addresses sustainability themes ahead of the climate summit in Sharm El-Sheikh, we argue that these objectives are not mutually exclusive; rather, they are inextricably linked. The report also covers:
- The underlying causes of the energy shock
- What Europe’s return to coal means for climate targets and investors
- The threat to nature and biodiversity presented by the climate crisis
- The oil-producing winners and losers of a 1.5°C world
- How energy infrastructure can and must play a pivotal role in the transition