We believe the best companies continue to evolve. Legal & General Group has done this throughout its history, reaching back almost 200 years. As the investment management arm of Legal & General, LGIM has become one of the largest asset managers in the world today. We have achieved this through a strong commitment to product innovation, enhancing client service and our expertise in developing responsible long-term, risk-aware investment solutions.
Discover more about our story
A timeline of significant events reaching back to 1836.
- 2020: LGIM is rated top for responsible investment compared to world’s 15 largest asset managers by ShareAction.
- 2020 : LGIM named Best ESG Asset Manager at the Corporate Adviser Awards
- 2020 : LGIM ranked top among the world’s asset managers for our approach to Climate change by NGO ShareAction
- 2020 : LGIM received the Citywire Gender Diversity ‘Judges’ Choice’ Award in 2020 for our stewardship work on gender diversity and leading position on ethnicity, as well as for the female representation in our business at board, executive and other senior levels
- 2019: LGIM becomes the largest asset manager to adopt the Taskforce for Climate-related Financial Disclosures.
- 2018/19: LGIM wins ‘Best ESG Manager’ at Corporate Advisor Awards
- 2016: LGIM’s Future World fund is launched incorporating LGIM’s proprietary ESG scores.
- 2016: LGIM launches Climate Impact Pledge
- 2015:LGIM and National Grid UK Pension Scheme agree strategic partnership to manage £12 billion of assets across fixed income, LDI and equities
- 2015:LGIM’s share of the fast-growing DC market continues. DC AUM rises 13% to £46.1bn. Number of customers hits 1.8m.
- 2015:LGIM cements its position as largest UK asset manager, with over $1 trillion AUM (£757 billion)*.
- 2013:LGIM’s first SICAV structure approved, giving European investors easier access to LGIM strategies.
- 2012:LGIM opens Hong Kong office, delivering our services and capabilities to Asian markets.
- 2012:LGIM’s AUM passes the £500 billion mark
- 2011:LGIM expands its market-leading corporate governance team to cover all major developed equity markets
- 2010: LGIM Investment Stewardship team undertakes international engagement programs
- 2009:LGIM’s AUM reaches £300bn - 4.5% of UK stock market, as represented by the FTSE All-Share Index (as at 31 Dec’ 09)
- 2008:LGIM named UK’s No.1 pension fund manager in the annual FTFM Pension Fund Manager Survey
- 2006:LGIM opens LGIMA - a Chicago-based investment manager specialising in fixed income and LDI strategies
- 2005:LGIM launches range of pooled liability-driven investment (LDI) strategies
- 2003:LGIM becomes the leading manager of UK pension fund assets
- 2001:LGIM works with major client to develop one of UK’s first LDI strategies
- 2000: Creation of LGIM Investment Stewardship team
- 1988:LGIM establishes its private equity team, Legal & General Venture Capital
- 1987:Legal & General Property founded
- 1987:LGIM is the first UK company to offer pooled index strategies for UK pension funds
- 1986:LGIM is appointed by its first external client for index strategy management
- 1971:LGIM launches its first active fixed income strategy
- 1970:Legal & General Investments is established (later to became LGIM), and starts to manage assets for pension funds, institutional and private clients
- 1836:Legal & General Life Assurance Society is founded